Thursday, February 14, 2013

Stained Glass Windows

I am excited to report that yesterday went really well! By just a few hours into the day, I found myself responding to EVERYONE'S needs over my own, and it was EASY!!! I felt a joy and peace all day that I haven't felt in a long time!
 
Plus, I got to end the day with Mass and getting #ashtag-ged, so really, how awesome is that!!!
 
 
And now, on to today's challenge:
 
I have often looked at stained glass windows and marvelled at how all these broken shard of glass come together to create such a beautiful masterpiece. How similar to the family of God! We all come to Him, broken, as shattered glass. When we allow HIM to work in us, through us, we find that He places us right where He wants us, and we come together to create the most glorius masterpiece! Today, I present two sides to the story, two ways that we often try to move our place in His stained glass window:
 
God often calls us to things we may not be comfortable with, or away from an area we prefer to be in so we try to pick where we want to be placed. We decide that our glass doesn't fit with someone's elses and we resist His calling. This stubborness breeds rebellion, contempt, frustration, and discontent, among other things. Often, we begin to look at others and decide that they, too, are out of place. We then attempt to move them elsewhere, or at the very least, uproot them from where God has placed them. In doing so, we begin to judge and attack them. We may justify it by saying we don't feel God wants them there, or that they are not a good fit, or even point out their 'flaws and failures' to justify our actions. Our broken edges sharpen with each negative thought, and we begin to cut others rather than fit with them. Constructive correction turns to criticism. We become the sword that destroys instead of the hand that heals.
 
I suggest that there is a simple solution that will heal the pain inside ourselves and that we are causing others - prayer! When we begin to pray every time we want to criticize, we allow Him to work through us again. He is the Great Healer, the One who can move mountains. If He is able to raise the dead, then He can certainly heal the wounded heart! When we begin to pray instead of criticize, He causes us to love rather than judge. Our words then begin to bring hope and compassion. Our sharp edges are made soft again, and we find our way back to the place He planned for us all along.
 
Secondly, as humans, when confronted often our first response is to defend ourselves. Confrontation is not something we all like or enjoy, yet we do not hesitate to create it when we feel that who we are as a person is being attacked. But does this really help? Does it keep our integrity intact? Does it show love to the other person, and to their concerns? Does it alleviate the issues?
 
I am going to dare to say NO! Our HUMAN response is exactly opposite of what we should be doing. Let me break it down for you:
 
Jesus REQUIRES us to "Turn the other cheek", to "Love those who persecute you", even unto death! Does this mean that we should never defend ourselves? Certainly not! But we DO need to make sure that, when defense is required, we are armed with the Holy Spirit, with love, with kindness, and with empathy, so that we do not cross from righteous defense to indignation.
 
So my challenge for today is to responde to ALL situations in love, even if I have to bite my tongue off to do so. I will not allow myself to be negative or deragatory to anyone, no matter how much I may want to 'put them in their place'. (Speaking of, if we are all created in God's image, then the only place we should want to put people in in His heart ...) I will choose to ask His guidance in placing me where He wants me, and accept the fit He has for me. I will become part of His stained glass masterpiece, even if it means I am part of the foot ...

No comments:

Post a Comment