Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday 'food' for thought.


I woke up this morning a bit grouchy as ususal about rolling out of my oh-so-soft bed into the cold morning. I completed my routine shower and facial treatment, pulled a pair of pants and sort-of matching blouse out of my closet while yawning lazily, and grabbed my boots. Dressed and perfumed, I checked the emails on my phone. 'Junk, delete ... spam, delete ... newletter, ignore ... work, don't want to deal with yet ...'
 
After glancing at the clock, brushing my teeth, and a little more awake from the sting of the mouthwash, my brain suddenly clicked into gear - today is Ash Wednesday. The usual tumble of thoughts followed, "The first day of Lent, Mass at 7:00 p.m., so begins my yearly fast from meat, good thing the kids are finally accustomed to fish so they won't fight fish Fridays and meat-free Wednesdays quite so hard this year, ..."
 
Somewhere in there, God turned on that light bulb that I first noticed for real last year but pulled the shade back down on, "I don't care so much about what you quit as what you start, my child."
 
So the real question is, what will I give back this year? Instantly, my question was answered - myself. And I don't mean that in just an 'I will go to morning Mass more, do Adoration more, study the Bible more' way. I mean in a total, entire, gift of body, mind, and soul way. And not just throughout Lent, in every day throughout the year.
 
Lately, I have been working to impress upon our kids that every decision we make has consequences even back to the Cross. Yet, am I living like that myself? Do I strive to take AWAY strikes of the hammer, lashes of the whips? Of course I do not intentionally cause them, but, again, do I actively strive NOT to? This is a question I continually present to my children, yet have avoided asking myself.
 
So during this 40 days of Lent, I challenge myself to do just this. In every situation. In every converstaion. With every thought. With every action.
 
Today, I unwittingly started with my employer. He is also my Priest, for those of you who don't know, so it can be a bit sticky at times lol. The first thought that ran through my mind was, 'I need to stop being so relaxed about getting to work on time.' Often I am just a few minutes late, which is graciously overlooked, but I know sticks in his craw. Without much extra effort on my part to get out the door, I was able to clock in an entire minute early! A small victory, I know, yet it set the tone for the whole day. Small things for a big change. And an eternal impact.
 
Naturally, I will need to be held accountable in this life change, so I am asking for YOUR help! Each morning, I will be documenting my results from the previous day (failures and all!), and adding the change I am striving toward for that day. It will take alot of Him, and prayers and input from YOU!
 
I'm calling it my 'World Love Dare Challenge for a Catholic Girl' ... and it starts today!!!

P.S. Isaiah 58:1-12 is some great reading for this challenge ... Fasting is about more than refraining from food or other pleasures. In this reading for Ash Wednesday from the Prophet Isaiah, the Lord explains that fasting that does not lead to works of charity does us no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment